Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Starting my Garden Journal

This is what the backyard looked like around Christmas. Snowy and unbelievably cold. And of course Jim and I were both sick and we didn't finish Christmas shopping.

But, now the snow has all melted and it is substantially warmer. Ok, 30 degrees is substantially warmer than 0 degrees. But we did have a 60 degree day a couple of days ago.

So this "warm" weather has got me to thinking of spring and GARDENING!!! I've been planning my vegetable garden for the year. I'm using the "Square Foot Gardening" method (Unofficially - I never did lay out the grids).

Last year my garden was overgrown by tomatoes. Planting one foot apart and training up a trellis failed for me. I just seemed to be unable to keep them pruned properly. And Some of the indeterminate type tomatoes weren't. So, I have to rethink the tomato plantings. But I did have lots and lots of tomatoes. Unfortunately a lot went to waste in the yard because of the mess.

Oh, but I had a lot of green tomatoes for the first time. Green tomato cake, baked "fried" green tomatoes. Pickled green tomatoes. I never realized the yummyness potential for green tomatoes.

Potatoes were a big success as well. Planted yukon golds and boy are they productive! This year I will dedicate a whole bed to them.

Corn was a total failure. Corn, smut, ewwww. Some places it's a delicacy, but ewwww. No corn this year. And no eggplant, rutabagas, pickling cukes, or bush cukes.

Although "Square Foot" is an instensive gardening method, I plainly planted things too close. Bush beans overran the summer squash, and the spagetti squash got buried by tomatoes. Flowers are going elsewhere - I just don't have enough room for them.

Ok, so I'm off to ponder this some more. Also on the pondering list are Asian pears (where?), Blackberries (where?), (Upright blackberries, hmmmm) and blueberries (the soil here is way to alkaline).

1 comment:

  1. Connie, I just posted this reply to you on my blog, but just in case you don't return to see it...

    "Which of the Tri-Cities are you from? I live in Pasco.

    I just checked out your profile...I'm also retired, I garden, I paint, I listen to The Eagles, and I lived in Baker, Oregon when they were filming Paint Your Wagon nearby and was indirectly involved with both the film and some of the actors!

    We should talk ;-)"

    I'm not a good tomato pruner. I always tried, but they invariably get out of control, so I stick with Celebrity. They've always performed well for me. I might go out on a limb and try some heirlooms from seed this year, though. Blueberries do great in our soil if you toss on a layer of peat moss and composted manure each fall, and make sure to have more than one variety for cross pollination. I'm still up in the air about corn. It takes so much room, we have corn ear worm problems, and it's awfully good and fresh when I buy from Cool Slice out on Rd. 48 and Court in Pasco.

    Carol
    aka "Granny"

    ReplyDelete