Friday, January 16, 2009

Review of Last Years Veggie Garden (Part 1)

This is what my veggie garden looks like today. The beds are 2X6 fir. They probably won't last long, but they were relatively cheap (compared to redwood or cedar). The cement paving stone pad is for the green house. We have been working off and on as weather permits.

I've been working on what veggies I want to plant this year. I think I need to do a bit of review of what I planted last year. Tragically, a lot of the info I had from last year is on a dead laptop. I went through my seeds and compiled a new list of what I have. I finally found my green garden notebook which had some printouts of last years veggie layout. I have moments of organization and then it all falls apart, lol.

Okay now to the review of last years plantings:

Beets (Tall Top Early Wonder and Cylindrical) - These were so yummy! I need to plant more this year. I also need to give them more time to grow - I had to pull them all when there were real little to make room for summer crops. There are good as babies, but I would have liked some larger ones for pickling.

Carrots (Red Core Chantenay, Purple Haze, Rainbow Blend) - Purple Haze is only purple on the outside so if you peal it, it's orange! No more purple carrots or rainbow things, just plain orange carrots. And like the beets, I need let them have time to grow and not have to pull for summer stuff.

Radishes (Cherry Belle, Sparkler, Watermelon, Icicle) - Cherry belle grew the best and Watermelon was the worst. I won't bother with that one again. Sparkler, I don't remember, lol. And Icicle I would like to plant in a spot to give a little more time to get a little bigger. They are supposed to get 5", but I didn't have any that long. I wonder about the quality if they are that size?

Greens (Mescalin, kale, spinach, chard) - I planted greens from a package of mixed greens. They worked better being directly planted than from starting inside. I did start some other lettuces for a second crop but they got crowded by tomatoes and eaten by bugs. I'll use up the mix, but after that, I'll plant separate. The mix included some kale that bugs destroyed later in the season. I need to keep a closer watch on it. Spinach was a dud - I'll try direct sewing instead of starting inside. I've never had much luck growing spinach. And chard is as about as easy as it gets to grow. Only need a few plants - I would rather plant more beets.

Cabbage - Not going to bother again. We don't eat it that much, however the bugs loved it.

Broccoli, Broccoli-raab, Brussels Sprouts - I'm willing to try these again for a fall crop, but not for spring. The broccoli-raab was pretty bitter. I've grown it in So. Cal. in the winter, but I don't remember it being that bitter.

Well, I'll have to finish this later. Rosie has to go to the doggie doctor for a check-up and rabies shot.

2 comments:

  1. Connie,

    I don't know if you went back to the beginning of my blog, but my Pasco garden had to be almost completely rebuilt and replanted after our big maple tree blew down and crushed everything July 1. That meant most of my veggies got a very late start. My mesclun and spinach were fantastic (mesclun for the rabbit, spinach for us and I will always fall plant it). Beets were so sweet. Carrots didn't have time to mature. Bush beans were great, but pole beans froze just as they were blossoming.

    Sorry to hear the rainbow carrots weren't so good, that's what I bought for this year. Thankfully I have others.

    Your garden looks a lot like mine, except I don't have trellises, I have unused dog kennel :-) My setup can be seen at:

    http://annieskitchengarden.blogspot.com/2008/09/september-15-2008-delightful-aroma.html

    The north gardens were just built in September and haven't yet been planted. I moved my blueberries back there and put them in whiskey barrels. I lost one of the three the previous year, and it may have been the pollinator 'cause this was my first spring that I didn't have berries. I'll buy a new one when I get home.

    Blueberries:
    http://annieskitchengarden.blogspot.com/2008/10/october-15-2008-ok-so-i-lied.html

    Annie's Granny

    ReplyDelete
  2. My biggest problem overall, was the crowded conditions of my garden. Somethings (like carrots) got buried. None of them did that well.

    And I have to plant a lot more beets. Went to the first link and saw the pickled beet recipe. Yummmm. And your yard - you have so much space! It looks so nice and lush. Spring can't get here soon enough!

    Mmmm, blueberries! I'm going to have to plant some. The half barrels are a great idea!

    I've looked at bits and pieces of your blog, but not all of it (working on it). Found the picture of the maple tree. YIKES!

    Connie

    ReplyDelete