Saturday, January 17, 2009

Review of Last Year's Veggie Garden (Part 2)


Parsnips - These were a total flop. They didn't germinate well and they were overrun by tomato plants. Still debating whether or not to try to growing them again.

Onions (Walla Walla, unknown red) - I started seeds for these inside. The never got very big. I plan to try again from nursery plants for this year. I may experiment with starting seeds in the fall for next year. I actually still have a few in the garden, will see what they do.

Turnips (Purple Top White Globe) - Another crop I need to give a little more time to grow and not have to remove for summer crops. I want to plant some for fall as well.

Rutabagas (American Purple Top) - I think I left them in the ground to long. I was saving them for fall, and they got HUGE. May try again, then again I may not.

Kohlrabi (Early White Vienna) - These took forever! Anyway, plant more. I also have some Purple Vienna to try. Want to plant for fall as well.

Peas (Little Marvel, Sugar Snap) - Sugar Snap were tasty and productive. I think they would have lasted longer in the season if I would have kept picking them. Little Marvel are a bush type pea and produced so-so. For garden peas, I think I plant a taller pea.

That was all the cool weather crops. Now on to warm weather crops.

Beans - (Bush Blue Lake 274, Kentucky Wonder - Pole, Pencil Pod Wax Bush, Royal Burgundy Bush, Anasazi, Lima) - The Royal Burgundy were amazing producers. They out produced the other bush beans by a mile. The Blue Lake and Pencil Pod were okay, but I doubt that I will plant them. They rivaled the pole beans! And the poor pole beans, I was so overwhelmed by the time they started producing I didn't keep up with them very well. I only got a few lima beans, they were a victim of overcrowding. The Anasazi beans were a bit of an experiment. I had some in the pantry and threw a few in the garden to see if they would grow. If I'm really going to grow and harvest them, I need to plant earlier.

Corn - Too much room, corn smut, failed crop. I'll buy it at the farmer's market.

Eggplant - Bought 2 plants of different varieties. They grew well, but we don't like them well enough to plant in the garden. Also, had an occasional bitter one.

Melon (Cantaloupe -Heart of Gold, Watermelon - Sugar Baby) - Total failure. Victim of crowding. Also, the cantaloupe was planted in a section of bed where nothing grew well. This particular section was not dug and amended properly. It has since been corrected.

Cucumber (Lemon, Spacemaster, Boston Pickling) - The lemon cuke grew really well, but was tangled with tomatoes and I couldn't harvest them like I needed to. The pickling cukes just didn't grow well. They had room, but I don't know what went wrong. Doubt I will plant them again. I discovered other things to pickle (lemon cukes, beets, green tomatoes). The spacemaster needed a trellis. I think I may try an Armenian cuke instead. Just don't want to plant that many of any cukes - we eat a few, but not a lot.

Tomatillo - My seed starting for these failed. Bought plants from a local nursery. And they grew and produced and sprawled and grew and produced and grew and sprawled and . . . I'll attempt to grow them on one of the trellises this year.

Okay, we need to go walk Rosie. I still have sweet potatoes, peppers, squash, potatoes, asparagus and TOMATOES to jibber about. And a little about herbs, flowers, strawberries, fruit trees and some general random thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy to hear Royal Burgundy bush beans did well, as I'm trying them for the first time. I'm also planting parsnips...hope I have better luck with them than you did. I liked my Spacemaster cucumbers well enough that I'm planting them again this year. I had mine in large pots, and they did have to be tied up to a trellis (actually a long stick). I'm thinking of putting them in front of my fence posts this time, to give me something to tie them up to. I've always started my Walla Wallas from plants, and my cooking onions from sets. I plant them fairly close and thin them for spring onions.

    ReplyDelete