Wednesday, January 21, 2009

New Mistakes

John Hammond: Don't worry, I'm not making the same mistakes again.
Dr. Ian Malcolm:No, you're making all new ones.

That was from the movie, Jurassic Park II. Not a great movie, but I love the quote. And I'm quite sure it will apply to this years veggie garden. . .

And with that in mind, I'm working on planning this years veggie garden. Here is the list of what I'm currently thinking of planting:

Spring
  • beets
  • carrots
  • scallions
  • onions
  • celery
  • lettuce
  • spinach
  • radishes
  • kohlrabi
  • peas
  • turnips
  • potatoes
Summer
  • beans
  • cucumbers
  • watermelon
  • cantaloupe
  • summer squash
  • winter squash
  • tomatoes
  • sweet peppers
  • hot peppers
  • sweet potatoes
  • tomatillos
Fall
  • beets
  • carrots
  • scallions
  • onions
  • lettuce
  • spinach
  • radishes
  • kohlrabi
  • peas
  • turnips
  • broccoli
  • cauliflower
  • Brussels sprouts
  • garlic
Herbs (annual)
  • parsley
  • cilantro
  • dill
  • basil
Yikes, that's a big list! There is no way it will all fit in the square foot garden beds. The summer squash has to go somewhere else. The sweet potatoes may have to as well. And the annual herbs may have to go in the bed with the perennial herbs.

I may find there are some things that just won't fit. (Can I dig up the front lawn?)

2 comments:

  1. Lots of luck on getting the front lawn. I'm still trying to connive another 5 or 6 feet of the back yard for more gardens. My husband can't understand why I want more vegetables and less grass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as mine read this post he said no veggies in the front yard, lol. I told him I could plant sweet potatoes and no one would be the wiser. But, some of the front yard lawn is going to go away eventually so I can plant more roses. (evil grin)

    ReplyDelete