Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Been Out in the Garden

The garden has been a flurry of activity!


Things have been growing like crazy! And all sorts of things starting to bloom! These daffodil and hyacinth pictures are from a week ago. Some of the daffodils are now fading, but new ones are blooming. The hyacinths are done now, but they were pretty and sooooo fragrant. Tulips are starting to open, and lilacs are getting ready to bloom. I guess I really need to go take more pictures.













Some of my fruit trees have been blooming. These are apricots blooming from a week or so ago. My peach tree spat out 2-3 pathetic blooms. The plum tree had one bloom. No apple blooms yet. One of my cherry trees has quite a few blooms. I'll have to get a picture of it later.

I got the rest of my spring veggies planted a couple of weeks ago. I got my tri-star strawberries moved. And I've been moving plants left and right! I'm sure the neighbors are thinking "It must be spring, because the crazy lady with the red house is moving plants again!

Most of the seeds I planted have sprouted. Sometimes it feels like the carrots and onions take forever!

I planted lettuce last fall, but I planted it to late for a fall harvest. But, it overwintered with no protection. It looked pathetic most of the winter. But now that it's warmed up, it's growing nicely.

We have been getting a few leaves for sandwiches and burritos and things. The newly planted lettuce and greens are sprouting nicely, so hopefully soon we will have some nice salads.




















The "Purple Passion"asparagus is beginning to grow. Although, something (besides hubby and me) has been munching on a few of the spears. It was planted last year, so we won't be harvesting much of it. We have eaten a few raw spears - THEY ARE SOOOOO GOOD!

And there is the greenhouse. Well, basically we need 2 days where we aren't running around like crazy or driving to Vancouver WA. And we need the wind to NOT blow. And for the moon and stars to align . . .

Well we are off to walk garden dog and then do some gardening. And I'll post some new garden pictures later (this evening or tomorrow, hopefully not waiting until next month).

3 comments:

  1. Keep your fingers crossed this weather stays with us. I'm looking forward to the high 70s to low 80s we're supposed to get next week! Your flowers are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks great! I will keep my fingers crossed for good weather for you guys. We should be getting 80's this weekend.

    Liisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Granny, Liisa -

    Thank you! Weather is looking good. Today, we should get the greenhouse up! Tomorrow and the next few days looks to be in the 80's!

    Happy gardening :)

    Connie

    ReplyDelete