Saturday, April 18, 2009

Whats Growing in the Garden?

Things are really beginning to take off now.

These Bleeding Hearts are so pretty! They are unfortunately a bit hidden in the back corner behind the pergola. I bought it last year from a package from a box store. I planted it in a pot and put it outside weather permitting. I drug it (and several other plants) in and out for several weeks. When the weather warmed enough, I put it in the ground. I can't believe how big it is this year!





Our Black Tartarin cherry tree has a several blossoms on it this year, but the Rainer only has two. So pretty, even if we don't get any cherries. All our fruit trees are all very young - we planted them last spring. So I don't expect any fruit yet, but I am enjoying the flowers. :)






















I finally got all the Tri-Star (day neutral) strawberries moved last week. The little path has creeping thyme and some other random plants.

The strawberries look better already even though they still look puny. Now they don't get stomped on as much by the garden dog, so maybe they will be happier in this bed. I also amended it pretty heavily. Their prior spot was barely amended.

In another 4-6 weeks I'm going to plant some peppers in this bed as well.

















And the Shuksans (June bearing) are growing like crazy. Oh boy, I can taste the strawberry pie already.

















And how about some happy little Johnny-jump-ups? I started these from seed last year. They were pretty small when I planted them They survived last summer and winter. I cut them back early spring, and now they are blooming.


















One, last note - we (Jim mostly) got a lot of work done on the greenhouse. There is a little bit more to do on it and it will be done!

3 comments:

  1. Looking good, Connie! With our upcoming weather, things will really be growing fast. I'm so anxious to get my tomatoes and peppers planted, I'm getting sick of dragging them off and on the patio. I'm really going to push for a small green house next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie,

    Everything looks so nice. I love bleeding hearts. I have not had much luck growing them. Can't wait to see photos of the greenhouse.

    Liisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weather was pretty good, till last night. Sigh. Greenhouse will be done today (yay!). Will post update later.

    I never tried growing bleeding hearts before. I planted two and one isn't doing so good. But this one must like where its planted!

    Connie

    ReplyDelete