Thursday, March 12, 2009

Seeds Are Sprouting













On Feb. 24 I started tomatoes, parsley and celery. They are all sprouting!

The parsley and celery are in the larger containers in the middle of the picture and are a little hard to see. They took forever but have started showing green the last couple of days.

I still need to start peppers, tomatillos and the alpine strawberries I just bought mere moments ago. Oh, and Green Zebra tomatoes as well. I'll buy plants for bulb onions. For everything else, I will plant the seeds out side (I think) .

And speaking of buying more seeds... I just can't seem to help myself. In the past few days I bought:
  • Purple Tomatillos (like the green ones I had aren't good enough.)
  • Green Zebra tomatoes (Been looking for "Aunt Ruby's Green German", but I'll give these a try.)
  • Alpine strawberries (Been looking for these for a while.)
  • Swiss Chard - Neon Lights (How many kinds of chard does a gardener need?)
  • Blue Flax (What I meant to buy when I bought Forget-me-nots.)
  • Radish - Salad Rose (Because every garden needs a hundred kind of radishes. Okay, 5 kinds.)
  • Onion - Evergreen bunching (Because I keep forgetting I already have seeds for these - this makes 4 packages.)
  • Watermelon - Moon & Stars (Never mind, that I don't have room for these. And, If I actually get a crop how am I going to get a 40 lb watermelon into my fridge?)
I also bought some onion bulbs to use as scallions. I'll plant them in the flower beds . I bought my seed potatoes - Yukon Gold and Red Norland.

All I need now is for us to quit having record cold temperatures and I can start gardening!

2 comments:

  1. For heaven's sake, will somebody stop me? I just planted 45 tomato seeds tonight (15 varieties) and still have two more varieties to go! I have become a seed junkie...I need intervention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can never have too many tomatoes :)

    ReplyDelete